Friday, January 9, 2009
Sweet Riceblends is a very simple, yet tasty snack. It is called "Kolukattai" in Tamil. Its made with rice flour and jaggery steamed in the idli cooker. It can be served in the evening to kids. They would love it.
Idli rice - 2 cups
Jaggery (powdered) - 1/2 cup
Water - 1.5 cups
Cardomom powder - a pinch
Coconut (grated) - 1/2 cup
1. Fry the idli rice in a pan (without oil) for 3-4 minutes until rice turns to yellowish golden color.
2. Cool it and blend it coarsely.
3. Boil water and add powdered jaggery to the boiling water.
4. After the jaggery has completely dissolved in the water, mix 1 cup of powdered rice to it. Keep the mix aside for 1 hour.
5. Add coconut and cardomom powder to the mix. If the mix is very dry, add some more boiling water to bring consistency. If it is watery, add some rice flour to make it dough-like consistency to make balls. Its because the rice consistency would be different for each.
6. Make small balls of this mix and keep it in idli cooker for steam cooking.
7. After 5-6 minutes, check if the kolukattai is done with a toothpick. If not done, keep it in steam for some more minutes.
8. This sweet rice kolukattai can be served hot or cold.
Alternatively, it can also be cooked in electric rice cooker. Pour 1 cup water in the rice cooker pan and keep the vegetable cooking pan on top of it (it comes with the rice cooker when bought). Now keep the dough balls on the top pan and cover the lid until cooked.