Thursday, February 5, 2009
This is a rajma masala recipe with some of my twists. I added Moong Daal because I wanted to experiment the taste. I guess it was a success because Sriram had an extra chapathi with it. :) It can also be prepared with either rajma or moong daal separately.
Green Moong daal - 1/2 cup
Rajma (Red kidney beans) - 1/2 cup
Onion (medium) - 1/2
Tomatoes - 2
Ghee & Oil - 1 tbsp each
Cinnamon - 1
Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds (Methi) - 1/2 tsp
Ginger & Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Jeera (cumin) powder - 1/2 tsp
1. Soak both beans together in water for 7 hours. Then pressure cook it with 1.5 cups water and keep aside.
2. Chop tomatoes and onion finely. Heat oil and ghee in a large pan, and add cinnamon, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
3. After a few seconds, add chopped onion and fry till it becomes golden brown. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw flavour has left.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and stir till tomatoes are cooked.
5. Then add the cooked beans with the liquid in it. Also add cumin powder and garam masala powder and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Moong daal and rajma masala can be served with rice, roti or naan.