Friday, January 16, 2009
Tomato Curry (thakkali kulambu) is again one of my mother's simple recipes. Its prepared with tomato and some of the spices. Whenever I feel too lazy to cook, this recipe pops up in my mind and I complete the cooking done in half an hour.
Tomatoes - 4
Onion - 1
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Roasted channa - 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Curry masala powder - 1.5 tsp
Coriander(daniya) powder - 1 tsp
For seasoning: mustard - 1/4 tsp, curry leaves - 5
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp
1. Chop onion and tomatoes.
2. In a pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add onion and fry till it becomes transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw flavour has left.
3. Add tomatoes and fry till it is mashed up. Remove it from flame and cool it.
4. In a blender, add coconut, roasted channa daal, curry masala powder, coriander powder, salt and the cooled tomato-onion mix. Blend them nicely.
5. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add mustard and curry leaves.
6. Add the blended curry to the pan and boil it for 5-7 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
7. Tomato curry can be served with rice, idli or dosa.