Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Paal (Milk) Kolukkattai is a very simple sweet snack prepared in Tamil Nadu. Very suitable for children of any age, adults love it too. Its prepared with rice blended and cooked in milk along with coconut and sugar.
Rice - 1 cup
Coconut (grated) - 2 cups (I add so much because I love the taste of coconut, it can be reduced to 1 cup also)
Rice flour - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 or 2 tsp (increase if you want it sweeter)
Milk - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Salt - a pinch
1. Soak rice in water for 2 hours. Then blend it coarsely with a very little water and 1/4 tsp of salt.
2. Add grated coconut and rice flour to the batter. If desired, you can add 1/4 cup of finely chopped coconut.
2. Mix everything nicely for a dough-like consistency. Then in a large pan, heat 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of water together.
3. When the milk starts boiling, add sugar and a pinch of salt to the milk and mix well. Then make small firm balls of the dough and put it in the milk.
4. With a stirrer, stir the balls softly for every 2 minutes so that it won't stick to the pan. When the milk starts to thicken, check if the kolukkattai is done with a toothpick. (It takes app. 10 minutes).