Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Semolina is the purified middlings of hard wheat used in making pasta; also, the coarse middlings used for breakfast cereals and puddings. Rava laddu is a sweet dish prepared with rava, ghee and sugar. Dry grapes and cashewnuts are added for exotic taste. This recipe is also from my mom who is a specialist in preparing sweets (especially Sourashtrian Sweets).
Semolina (Rava) - 1 cup
Coconut (grated) - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 4 tbsp
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Milk - 4 tbsp
Cashews - 7 or 8
Cloves - 5
Dry grapes - 10
Cardomom powder - a pinch
Raisins - 2 tsp
1. In a pan, heat 2 tbsp of ghee and add semolina and fry for 5 minutes app. (or) till it turns golden yellow colour. Pour it into a mixing bowl and keep aside.
2. With 1 tsp of ghee, fry cashew nuts (split) and cloves separately. Pour it to the mixing bowl.
3. Fry grated coconut (without oil/ghee) for a couple of minutes and add it to the mixing bowl.
4. Add all the other ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix nicely. Add the remaining ghee to the bowl.
5. Now, add 2 tsp of boiling milk to the mix and make moist enough to make firm balls. Start making balls, if its not firm enough, add some more milk (little by little) and check.
6. The amount shown here makes 12-13 ladoos.