Sunday, February 15, 2009
Manga Saadham is an option when I feel too lazy to cook. If the sourness in taste is not desirable, then the same recipe can be used for coconut rice except that the coconut shouldn't be fried, it should be added to rice directly.
Mango (grated) - 1 cup
Rice - 1 cup
Oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 5
Channa daal, urad daal - 1/2 tsp each
Green chillies - 2
Asafoetida - a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Cilantro (chopped) - 2 tsp
1. Cook the rice with 2 cups of water and keep aside.
2. In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it starts popping, add curry leaves, channa daal, urad daal and slit green chillies and fry for a minute.
3. Add the grated mango, asafoetida, turmeric powder and salt and cook till the mango becomes soft.
4. Remove it from flame and add the cooked rice with the mango mix. Garnish with coconut and chopped cilantro.
5. Mango rice can be served with pappadam or raitha.